Idaho Fire Safety Burn Permits

Individuals living outside city limits anywhere in Idaho who plan to burn for any reason-including crop residue burning and excluding recreational campfires-during closed fire season, from May 10 to October 20 every year, must obtain a fire safety burn permit.

If you live inside city limits and you plan to burn, a permit from your local fire department may be required.

As a convenience to the grower, DEQ's crop residue burning application communicates with the Idaho Department of Lands' (IDL) burn permits system to assist in issuing IDL burn permits. IDL burn permits for crop residue burning may only be obtained through DEQ's system

*Daily burn decisions are due by 11:00 AM local time.

Meteorological Discussion


This meteorological forecast discussion was prepared for the Idaho Department of Environmental Quality for the sole purpose of forecasting crop residue burn decisions within the state of Idaho by DEQ staff.

DEQ burn decisions do not apply to the Coeur d'Alene and Nez Perce Reservations. For forecasts and burn decisions for the Coeur d'Alene and Nez Perce Reservations, call 1-800-345-1007